Prince William County is under an Excessive Heat Warning Friday and an Excessive Heat Watch Saturday and Sunday. An Excessive Heat Warning means that a prolonged period of dangerously high temperatures will occur. Extreme temperatures and high humidity can cause heat illness.
Those without air conditioning should consider spending the heat of the day at a local shopping mall or other indoor public spaces. To help residents find relief from the heat, the following Prince William County public buildings are open to the public during normal operating hours:
– McCoart Government Center, 1 County Complex Court, Woodbridge
– Sudley North Government Center, 7987 Ashton Ave, Manassas
– A.J. Ferlazzo Building, 15941 Donald Curtis Dr, Woodbridge
The following Parks and Recreation facilities have limited space available in the gymnasium only:
– Chinn Aquatics and Fitness Center, 13025 Chinn Park Drive,
– Friday 5:00 AM – 8:00 PM | Saturday 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM
– Sunday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
– Dale City Recreation Center, 14300 Minnieville Road, Dale City
– Friday 6:00 AM – 9:00 PM |Saturday 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM
– Sunday 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM
In addition, residents may visit County Libraries during their normal operating hours. The Homeless Services Drop-In Center, at 14716 Potomac Mills Rd, Woodbridge, will be open for extended hours Thursday and Friday until 6:00 PM. The overnight shelter opens at 6:00 PM Thursday and Friday. For more information, call the Drop-In Center at 703-792-7648.
To decrease the risk of heat illness, stay inside as much as possible, drink plenty of fluids, dress in loose-fitting, lightweight clothing and avoid strenuous outside work. Drink water often and avoid consuming beverages with caffeine or alcohol, which can cause you to become dehydrated. Finally, never leave children or pets unattended in a vehicle for any amount of time.
Visit http://www.pwcgov.org/government/dept/fr/oem/pages/extreme-heat.aspx for more information about how to prepare for extreme heat.