Prince William County recently got word that it will be receiving $244 million from the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority, or NVTA, for transportation projects over the next six years.
The money will help with seven projects across the county, said Rick Canizales, the director of the county’s Department of Transportation. “It is a great piece of news for the county.”
The projects, with one underway and others set to enter design and planning phases within the next five to six years, include:
- Route 28 corridor roadway improvements (City of Manassas to Fairfax County)
- Construction of an innovative interchange at Route 234 and Brentsville Road
- Construction of an innovative interchange at Prince William Parkway and University Boulevard
- Improvements to Route 28 between Fitzwater Drive and Pennsylvania Avenue
- Extending Summit School Road and widening Telegraph Road
- Route 28 corridor feasibility study
- Construction of an innovative interchange at Prince William Parkway and Clover Hill Road
A project to widen U.S. 1 between Brady’s Hill and Dumfries Roads in the Town of Dumfries is also included on the list of NVTA-funded projects.
The NVTA was created in 2002 by the Virginia General Assembly as a regional body to develop the regional transportation plan and to address transportation issues in Northern Virginia. The NVTA manages public funds for transportation projects designed to reduce congestion throughout the region. In July 2013, the General Assembly increased the Regional Sales Tax, Grantor’s Tax and Transient Occupancy Tax in Northern Virginia, with the proceeds mandated to be used for transportation projects in Northern Virginia, and to provide the revenue stream for the NVTA.
Money received by NVTA are split into two pots or categories and are classified as 30-percent and 70-pecent funding. The NVTA releases 70 percent of its total revenues, as available, on a competitive basis to fund rated transportation projects that fit in the authority’s regional long-range plan. The remaining 30 percent of revenues are distributed to member jurisdictions, on a pro rata basis, for transportation projects and purposes.
Canizales said the funding will help the county with its extensive transportation projects. “This is from the 70 percent regional source. Our program right now is nearing the $1 billion mark in the five- to six-year program, if you include all of our funding.”
For more information about transportation projects in the county, visit pwcgov.org/transportation.